Interested in Auditioning?
- Contact the Band’s Music Director, Steve Layman, at 434-295-9850 for information and to arrange an audition.
What are Membership Requirements?
- Members of the Municipal Band participate in its activities on a voluntary, non-paying basis.
- Qualifications for membership include interest and cooperation in organizational activities, proficiency on an instrument needed in the organization, and good character.
- The Band rehearses and performs year-round, usually on Tuesday evenings.
What about Students?
- Students in the eighth grade or higher may rehearse and perform with the Municipal Band as Student Members, subject to approval by the Music Director and the Band’s Board of Directors. Usually, a student’s band director, private teacher or other school official will recommend the student to the Music Director.
- The Municipal Band also participates in a cooperative agreement with the Fine Arts Department of Piedmont Virginia Community College, in which students enrolled at PVCC can receive college credit for participating in the Band. Check with the Music Director or appropriate PVCC officials for details of this program.